Monday, June 17, 2013

1st Week in Germany!

Guten Tag!

Wow, I am finally here and enjoying the real Mission experience. Germany is Incredible... ha this place is absolutely amazing. First, off I want to say Happy Father’s Day to my dad. He has shown me so much in my life and I am so grateful for him. Also, happy birthday to Dad and Jackson this week!! Sorry to say but you are getting old. Haha

Sooo the real fun has happened. My companion is one of the coolest guys and one of the best trainers. His name is Elder Linsey and he actually lives in American Fork. He graduated in 2010 and he loves sports. We have the exact same personalities and I love it because he is one of the hardest workers I know. We always do the exact same things as each other. He and I are already best friends it seems like. We don’t fight or argue about anything and we love talking about sports. We get a ton done every day. I will send some pictures. So I am currently serving in the Frederiksdorf zone and it is SOOO pretty.. Frederiksdorf is where the Frankfurt temple is. It is honestly one of the coolest places to be. Elder Linsey opened up this area to missionary work about 2 transfers ago. So we are pretty much just building the area back up. Our apartment is in Bad Hamburg which is also an amazing place. And we take the Bahn every day to where we need to go. The transportation system here in Germany is Amazing. The buses and trains leave right on time and it is soooo organized.

A couple stories already have happened. Soo our second day here we were went to check on an old investigator at his house which was on the other side of town. We rode the bus to the other side of town which is about 5 miles away from our apartment and went up to the door and realized he was not home. So we started to head back to the bus stop but I had this feeling that we should walk back. We both looked at each other and agreed that’s what we should do. On our walk back we started contacting people on the street and it was scaring me because if we didn’t find someone Elder Linsey would have thought I was crazy. We then just barely crossed the street and there was a guy walking towards us. I had a feeling that was the guy so I told Elder Linsey that was the guy we needed to talk to. I told Elder Linsey to talk to him because obviously I can’t speak German very well yet. So we started talking to him. He seemed really interested in what we had to say. I bore my testimony to him. And then the coolest thing happened. Right after I bore my testimony there was a silence... and he looks at both of us and says.. "You know what? I was thinking about God about 5 minutes ago..."  Elder Linsey and I looked at each other and just smiled. The reason I tell you that story because it felt cool following the prompting of the Holy Ghost and then seeing what happened. It was an amazing feeling and made me love people even more.
When we first got here, we got here at 8:30 a.m. Germany time. So we went to the main stake center in Frankfurt which is tiny. We had a meeting and then split up in groups and went Proselyting. It was such a neat experience and we saw how much people are caught into the worldly things... Without a cell phone you realize how much people are on their cell phones... It is crazy!!! Ha as a missionary you begin to realize and see all the little things that happen. It is so sad how people are so caught up in worldly things and people don’t notice it. I was definitely like that before but I will not be like that after my mission. Also, Germany is sooo humid.. haha I sweat so much too so I am wet where ever I go. But it has been so much fun. Our apartment gets really hot at night sleeping and everything.. So I just sleep without blankets. But it’s a good experience.

So yesterday, before sacrament meeting the Bishop of the ward asks me to bear my testimony in front of the ward.. I agreed. The Frederiksdorf ward is one of the biggest in the country with 150 members. So we went to Elders quorum.. I had no idea what was going on. Then Sunday school.. Again no clue. Then sacrament comes around and I bore my testimony... I have never felt so dumb in my life!! Haha I wasn’t scared at all to go up, I just butchered it and my German is awful!! Ha but all the members appreciated it. Thank goodness for Elder Linsey. He has helped me so much and is so patient with me.

The food is the best!!! I eat so much!!! The members are amazing cooks to so it makes it that much better. Dessert is awesome as well. I am going to be fat when I get home. Haha the time zone change has probably been the hardest. We are 8 hours ahead of Utah time so it has been really tough to change but I am about there.

Even though my German is terrible and I don’t understand anything. I am already having experiences here and it is so great doing missionary work. I love this gospel and I hope everyone is doing some kind of missionary work at home. I miss you all and hope you are doing well. For now, I love this work and wouldn’t change my life in any way then how it is now. Thanks for all the support. I love you all.

Bis Später

Elder Emery

 

No comments:

Post a Comment